Return to TabletKiosk.com Home page

Support Forums

TabletKiosk® Recommends Microsoft® Windows® 7

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No webcam availability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No webcam availability
    Posted: 12/27/11 at 7:34pm
The i500 is proving to be a beast with its various options in the manner in which one can customise it. I fail to understand why Tabletkiosk did not deem it fit to integrate an integrated webcam into the device when the webcam is now such an important tool for communication purposes. Very soon, other manufacturers are likely to be releasing Windows based tablets and where those devices feature a webcam, i fail to see how the i500 will compete. Is there likely to be a reconsideration of the part of Tabletkiosk to integrate a decent webcam into the device?
TK_Dan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TK_Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/12 at 7:11pm
There is no webcam built into the Sahara Slate PC i500 because we sell to governments, including our own US government, and in many branches a camera is a no-no for security reasons.

We are, however, going to be releasing a camera module in the near future that will plug into the TK Expansion port on the top of the tablet. The module will support both still and video capture. It will either feature dual cameras (one front and one rear facing) or one high resolution camera that can pivot to face either direction. I'll let you know when pricing, technical specs and a release date is available.
---
Daniel Levy
TabletKiosk
"Mobility Matters"
GOJ1269 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOJ1269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/12 at 10:19am
I am also looking at this tablet and doing some research before buying.  On the issue of not having a built in camera, can the tablet, (as configured today), be able to accept usb cameras?

Thank you.
TK_Dan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TK_Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/12 at 12:07pm
Absolutely the Sahara Slate PC i500 can use any Windows 7 compatible USB camera. In addition, we will be releasing a camera expansion module a little later this year that will plug into the TK Modular Expansion Port located on the top of the system. Unfortunately, at this moment, I do not have an exact release date or pricing.
---
Daniel Levy
TabletKiosk
"Mobility Matters"
steinersupport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steinersupport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/12 at 8:36pm
The other night when I started to spec one of these out for what I wanted, I realized before I ordered that indeed there was no webcam, and was a little bummed. I would be very interested in knowing more about this module when it comes out, and specifically what it looks like on the Sahara Slate and if it works with the Shoulder Strap case (both things are important to me since it would be a work AND play computer). Anyway there doesn't seem to be a good competitor for the i500 yet so I can probably wait for the module. If there is a list of people who will be contacted when it comes out I would like to be on that list. Might even order the computer if I had the promise it was coming soon and an idea of what it looked like. You guys are doing great work.
TK_Dan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TK_Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/12 at 10:13pm
Thanks. We appreciate it. We really do try.

As for the webcam module, we are hoping to have it available in April or May. I'll post a picture as soon as I have a final sample of it. I'll see about that list for you as well. Worst case, I'll message you through the forum when we announce a release date

And I almost forgot, yes, it will work with both the shoulder strap and the bump case.

Edited by TK_Dan - 03/07/12 at 10:14pm
---
Daniel Levy
TabletKiosk
"Mobility Matters"
Bgreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/12 at 4:52am
Mr. Levy,
Any updates on the webcam yet? I am anxious to see pictures and hear any news on release date.
TK_Dan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TK_Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/12 at 10:21pm
Sorry for the lack of reply, Bgreen, but I wanted to be able to respond with something concrete. Unfortunately, I have nothing yet to report. The current hold up is not hardware related, but rather software.

We ended up changing developers mid stream because our original developers decided they could deliver the functionality we requested. Hopefully our new developer will have something for us soon which will allow us to move into final production. At that point I should have a solid release date and pricing.

Right now, it is looking like late May or early June. I promise to post an update as soon as I have solid information.
---
Daniel Levy
TabletKiosk
"Mobility Matters"
TK_Dan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TK_Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/12 at 8:55am
Just an update. Not ready yet. Unfortunately the programmers who were writing our camera application couldn't provide the functionality or ease of use that we wanted. We are currently working with another group and hopefully will have something soon.

Sorry I don't have better news.
---
Daniel Levy
TabletKiosk
"Mobility Matters"
Bgreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/12 at 5:55pm
Is providing a web cam still a goal of TK?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic